Festivals are big business, and the UK has gained a reputation for hosting a diverse calendar of events large and small. However, organisers are under significant pressure to ensure their events are as sustainable as possible.
The growing demand for festivals to go plastics-free this summer led to a significant rise in the interest in our drink can recycling programme, Every Can Counts.
Who Are We?
Every Can Counts is the leading programme to promote drink can recycling. Originally conceived in 2009, our aim remains simple and straightforward – to inspire everyone to make a difference by recycling their drink cans when they are away from home.
The Every Can Counts programme is unique in that it brings together a broad spectrum of partners; organisers of iconic festivals, sports events, well-known drink brands, independent event organisers, packaging manufacturers, community groups, industry bodies and waste and recycling contractors.
Click here to learn more about the programme.
A Roadmap of Our Summer
We have enjoyed our busiest and most productive Summer, a fitting way to celebrate our 10th anniversary!
- We were present at over 30 festivals and sports events!
- Our recycling ambassadors directly engaged with close to 10,000 people about the infinite recyclability of the humble drink can.
- Using a range of creative experiences enabled our team to drive up recycling rates at an event, but importantly to drive positive behaviour change long after the glitter and mud are washed away.
- A collective audience of over 1 million people had the opportunity to interact with our recycling ambassadors and their unique can recycling back packs.
- A video spreading the Every Can Counts message was displayed on big screen.
- New for 2019, we introduced the festival crowds to our innovative and engaging can cages and voting bins.
- At five festivals, people were encouraged to bring drink cans to the Every Can Counts pitch in return for money-can’t-buy tee-shirts – this alone generated nearly 50,000 more cans collected for recycling by the onsite waste contractor.
Thoughts on Our Summer of Sustainable Events
Andy Ellis, Director of Lost Village Festival said:
“Every Can Counts helped us bring a sharp focus on recycling and educate our customers more than ever. It’s clear that the solution to waste is anthropic; leading by example, engaging and, quite simply, talking to people and spreading the word. Every Can Count’s strong presence in our campsite, combined with their personable and passionate team, harnessed undeniably positive results at Lost Village 2019.
Chris Latham-Warde, Every Can Counts programme manager said:
“This Summer’s programme is our biggest year so far! We’re excited to work with long-term partners such as Festival Republic, and to have developed new partnerships with acclaimed independent festivals 2000trees in Cheltenham and Lost Village in Lincolnshire. We are also supporting Tough Mudder at ten of their nationwide obstacle race events, as well as working with grassroots community events.